intro

A sharing of ideas, techniques, successes and failures in the volatile world of pottery and family life.

Thursday, September 15, 2011

Treasuring the family drama

It's been 15 years since we've had a legitimate ER visit with our kids. With three boys, who have a father who's parents were on a first name basis with the ER staff, I consider this a major miracle.

I said "legitimate ER visit" because we had a "false alarm visit" with the whole shebang: EMT's and an ambulance ride. Our middle boy fell out of a tree when he was 7 or 8. His brothers came to fetch me from the house and I ran out to find him laying on his back crying "Ooow! My back hurts! I can't move!". Hence, the EMT's were called in. He was immobilized and carted to the hospital in style. After a thorough exam, including x-rays, they cleaned the large scrape on his back that he had gotten from falling against the tree and sent us home. Very anti-climactic, huh?

Now for the drama. Our oldest boy had broke his arm when he was three. That was our first ER visit. He now works in a sheet metal fabrication shop and caught his finger in one of the machines yesterday. He had an open fracture and is now all stitched back together and resting in front of his video games. Poor baby!

I know. You're thinking "That's it?" and you're 100% right! Our family has had it's share of major drama but, thankfully, not directly involving the boys. We have been so blessed with healthy children and when little things like this happen to them I thank God because it can always be so much worse. I know parents whose children have addictions, chronic illnesses, life changing injuries or have died. My heart brakes for them.  We are so blessed!

So I'll take our little doses of drama and put them in our treasure box because everything that's put in our path, good and bad, is a challenge. How we deal with our challenges is what defines our character.

No comments:

Post a Comment