intro

A sharing of ideas, techniques, successes and failures in the volatile world of pottery and family life.

Sunday, October 2, 2011

Push-me-pull-you

Shortly after graduating high school I worked at a florist starting as a driver then learning floral design and working in the shop.  After 2 years of starting in August to prepare for Christmas I couldn't do it any more and quit.  It made me feel like a Scrooge dreading Christmas, which is one of my favorite holidays.

This weekend was our first craft show for the fall/holiday season.  This is the earliest that we've done a fall show and my mindset is focused on the harvest season and Thanksgiving.

The show was in a church and vendors were spread throughout the building.  When the show started at 9:00 music started playing in the foyer, which was about 10 feet from the "Board Room" where I was set up with one other vendor.  A gentleman came in with a little boom box and asked if we would mind having music playing in the room.  Since my roommate was occupied he directed the question to me.  I declined because I've found the music can be distracting and just adds to the din when there are a lot of people in a small space.  As shoppers started coming (we had a very good show) I didn't even notice the music.  When it started quieting down after lunch I noticed it again.  It was Christmas music.  Of course!  What else would they be playing?

I'm sure there have been hundreds of marketing studies done on the effects of music on shoppers and being a vendor I want the shoppers to buy my amazing items.  ;-)   But as a shopper I cringe when I hear Christmas music before Halloween.  Probably because I've been a shopper longer than I've been a vendor I still have that negative reflex.  It was clear that many of our customers were gift shopping so maybe the music helped.  I just need to embrace my cringes and accept my roll in the pre-holiday madness. (heavy sigh)

No comments:

Post a Comment